Women in Sales Blog

Standing with an Army of Women in Sales

Posted by Ali Powell on Nov 11, 2015 12:00:15 PM

I have been posting about women in sales and women in tech topics for over 5 years now. I started this blog as a side project when I first started working at HubSpot a little over 5 years ago. Lately I have been more focused on the topic of specifically women in sales (in tech). We just started an official women in sales group at HubSpot. We got approval from our VP of Sales on this and he is excited to see us launch.

Just going through this process of officially creating a women in sales group at our company made me think more about how other women in sales at other companies can do this. It got me thinking about how to get more women in sales from different companies together to network. I started thinking more and more about this whole area of women in sales. I want to help and I want to make a difference in our world, I always have. BUT, I have never truly known what I wanted my focus in life to be. Yes, I wanted to be a successful career woman. I wanted to be good at something. I think I am good at something. I think I have knowledge of something that could help other women and I want to make that my mission in life. Because if I don't have a mission in life then what is the point of all of this? I must take a stance on something and start to speak up about what I care in to make a change in the world.

Whenever I go to talks, panels, or networking events with entrepreneurs they always give advice about how to find your true calling. I listen to this advice A LOT.

They always talk about how you will know what you want to do in life when you are super passionate about that one thing.  I always ask how you know what that one thing is that you should do full time as a job, as a company. How do you know?

I find myself  saying things like, "I know I want to do something more. I know I want to start my own company or start something, at some point in my life, BUT I don't have an idea. I have no clue what I would start." I also love LOVE what I do here at HubSpot so just signing off and out of that will take  A LOT for me. Why not do something on the side?

Topics: women in sales, more women in sales, get more women in sales, women in tech sales, tech sales

If You Want More Women in Sales at Your Company Empower Your Women in Sales to be Advocates and Speak Up

Posted by Ali Powell on Nov 6, 2015 9:17:45 AM

What is more compelling and real than actually hearing what it is like to be a woman working in sales at a company you might consider working for?

The women in sales at your company should feel empowered to speak about what it is like to work at your company in sales. There are a few ways you can start to help spread the word of what it is really like to work in sales as a woman at your company.

Topics: women in sales, more women in sales, get more women in sales

If Your Company Creates a Women in Sales Group, a Woman in Sales Community Will Grow in Your City

Posted by Ali Powell on Nov 6, 2015 9:14:30 AM

I am a woman.

Topics: Women in Tech, women in sales, more women in sales, get more women in sales

But, Why?! Why We Should Question the Future  Structure of Sales Management

Posted by Ali Powell on Oct 28, 2015 11:54:34 AM

But, Why?
Why does it have to be that way?
Why?
No really!!!
Why?

Topics: Women in Tech, more women in tech, women sales managers, women in management, sales management, women managers

Have Bad, Unhelpful Sales Reps Killed Prospecting Responses for the Good, Helpful Sales Reps?

Posted by Ali Powell on Oct 14, 2015 12:07:09 PM

Lately I have been thinking a lot about how I can take the skills that I have learned by being a sales rep in a fast growing market to help other sales reps sell better and smarter at the right times. The one thing that has always ringed true to me is that sales must be helpful. The leading indicator of a good sales rep is someone who is helpful for their prospects and companies that they are working with.

Topics: sales tips, smart sales, sales reps, smart sales process, smart sales rep

Motivational Sales Quotes Don't Work, What Works is Hiring Naturally Motivated Sales Reps

Posted by Ali Powell on Oct 7, 2015 9:03:31 PM

Someone asked me today,
"Ali, how does HubSpot motivate their sales reps?"

I quickly responded. It didn't take me much time to think about this.

My personal stance on this is that it is not your company's job to motivate you as a sales rep.

It is your job to motivate yourself to do a good job at selling for your company. If you don't feel motivated to sell what you sell then you are likely at the wrong company. Motivation is an internal thing. It is something that you just have or don't have. As a naturally motivated sales rep you should have this fire inside of you to get things done and work hard. This motiviation should not come from others, it should come from you.

f05b7c4a58411fceb6b3d62377a2f501-581408-edited.jpg

I don't feel like sales reps need to be motivated if they are in the right sales job and selling what they naturally (as a person) care about selling. Sure everyone has a bad day, a bad week, a bad month...BUT you should definitely feel motivated on your own to sell what you sell. If you don't then you are in the wrong place.

Topics: how to stay motivated, startup sales, sales reps, sales motivation, saas sales, newbie sales reps

How to Get Ahead and Get Promoted as a Woman in Sales Coming up the Ranks: Be Memorable, Be You (ALWAYS)

Posted by Ali Powell on Oct 1, 2015 9:13:26 AM

Yesterday at work I was asked to come speak at a meeting with our female group of entry level sales reps. This group of ladies consists of women working in 2 roles here at HubSpot in sales.

Topics: Women in Tech, women in sales, more women in sales, bdr program, woman in sales

Women in Sales: How to Create a Women in Sales Group at Your Company

Posted by Ali Powell on Sep 30, 2015 11:56:58 AM

At HubSpot we are working hard on being a great place to work for women in tech. I personally have always been passionate about this subject...because I AM A WOMAN!

Topics: women startups, Women in startups, Women in Tech, women founders, women in sales, more women in tech, more women in sales, get more women in sales

Sales Lessons Learned from Iris Apfel- Your Style Should Come Out in your Sales Process

Posted by Ali Powell on Sep 28, 2015 4:11:43 PM

This weekend I watched the Iris Apfel documentary and I loved it. I love her.
She is not a sales person but part of me sees her as someone that sales people can learn from and relate to.

She is an odd duck but in an amazingly, funny way. I dig her.

Topics: sales prospecting, sales process, smart sales, smart sales process, smart sales rep, lessons learned in sales

One Simple Thing that You Can do When You Decide to Work a Lead by Using Mattermark to Follow Trigger Events

Posted by Ali Powell on Aug 28, 2015 10:59:39 AM

I was told about this company called Mattermark a month or so ago. Thank you Stacey Bishop for introducing me to this tool. (Stacey is a board member of HubSpot and works at Scale Ventures.

Request a Sales  Consultation for Your   Growing Startup